Since Ryan will be in Law School for the next 3 years, we’re currently running on a “student budget” especially since I haven’t found (the right) job yet. That means we can’t always go to the pub for burgers and beer like we used to when we were both working in advertising. Geez, looking back it seems as if take-out, pub, or restaurant food was almost a daily occurrence because we were just too tired (and lazy) to cook anything. I don’t want to feel like I have to sacrifice that pub-like goodness. I still want that same self-indulgent feeling of going out for bad food – and I know Ryan does too. So, as a compromise, I brought the pub to our house. Well, sort of. I adapted this amazingly sinful recipe (courtesy of Better Crocker) and we drank some ice cold pints on the side. I even put the glasses in the freezer. Tonight, our dinner was even better than the pub. Sort of. P.s. I felt like listening to Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffett while I made this.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- a dash or worcester sauce
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (I used 3/4 cheddar and 1/4 mozzarella)
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of Original Bisquick mix
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with non-stick cooking spray
- Cook beef and chopped onion in a skillet over medium about 10 minutes or until beef is brown. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in salt, garlic powder and worcester sauce and then spread in pie plate
- Next, sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the beef
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and Bisquick. Make sure you try to get as many lumps out as you can. Pour over meat mixture.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean