My youngest sister, Alex, is getting married at the end of May which means I have less 6 weeks to fit into a bridesmaids dress. Let’s just say that if I don’t lose 5 pounds before then, there’s no sitting down for the entire night. However, if I stick to eating recipes like this, exercise everyday, and avoid eating things like this, I should hopefully be able to sit down for the big day.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup edamame (I used frozen – cooked and cooled)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 dried cranberries
- 1 cup frozen corn, cooked and cooled
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 avocado, chopped (optional)
- handful of roasted pine nuts (optional- I used them. Adds such great flavor!)
- Goat cheese or feta cheese if desired (I omitted to keep it on the healthier side)
- 2 lemons, juiced (1/4 cup juice)
- 2 garlic cloves, microplaned or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt & pepper
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- For the vinaigrette: combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake to combine.
- Combine cooled quinoa with all vegetable ingredients, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Superfood Salad and Cilantro Lime Shrimp (staceyarcher.wordpress.com)
- Weekday Vegetarian: Lentil Salad with Lemon-Rosemary Vinaigrette (treehugger.com)
- Southwestern Quinoa Salad with Chipotle Vinaigrette (jazzinthekitchen.wordpress.com)